Welcome!

Thank you for stopping by! Here you will find a variety of things as I post whatever happens to be going on in our home - recipes, crafts, homeschool, birthday parties, travels, meals in muffin tins and more! I'd love to know what you think so please feel free to leave comments!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

From (Mayonnaise) Failure, Comes Cake

So, a few days ago, I decided to try making homemade mayo. We have been attempting to limit/eliminate soy in our diets and since the main ingredient in mayo or that salad dressing with zip is soybean oil, those have been cast out of the house. I started with a fresh, organic, pastured egg yolk, some vinegar, a wee bit of lemon juice, mustard powder and salt. Then, using a stick blender, I added safflower oil, a wee bit at a time. It worked right away, I had a lovely thick and creamy mayo forming. I added a a little more and still, it looked wonderful. A little more, great. Still more, perfect. And then, it happened. I added a little more oil and just like that, suddenly my thick, creamy mayo was a thin & runny mess. Well, bummer.

I looked online for any potential fixes and found a site that suggested taking a new egg yolk and then slowly start adding the failed mixture to it, so I tried that to no avail. I appealed to my facebook friends only to get the bad news that I was likely out of luck. Fortunately, one of my friends (Wendy!) suggested I look up chocolate oil cake online. So I did and after some initial contemplation of whether or not I actually felt like making a cake at that moment, I decided to do my typical Dr. Frankenstein job on a couple of recipes I liked and go for it. Here is what I came up with:

Ta-da! It was a total success! So moist and delicious and no need for icing though I did serve it with strawberries and a dusting of powdered sugar. Part of me is secretly hoping the next batch of mayo I attempt will fail just so I can make this cake again! I was thrilled that I could still use my precious (expensive!) organic eggs and oil for something and not have to throw it all away! Next time I make this, I think I might add a little more cocoa for a little more of a chocolate flavor. I like my chocolate very chocolatey!



Debbie's Chocolate Oil Cake
(I don't like the sound of this name but Debbie's Failed Mayo Chocolate Cake isn't any better...)

Ingredients:
3 C all purpose flour
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 C failed mayo mixture (mine had 2 egg yolks, a little under 1 c of safflower oil, 1 tsp vinegar & 1/2 tsp salt)
2 egg whites (leftover from the 2 eggs used in the mayo)
1 C milk
1 C water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly oil a bundt pan. I used coconut oil. Mix together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix well. Pour into bundt pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate and allow to cool in the pan. Flip and gently loosen edges with a knife is needed. Flip back onto plate, remove pan & enjoy!

If you want to make this without going to all the trouble of making a failed batch of mayo, use this alternate ingredient list. 

3 C all purpose flour
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 C oil
1 C milk (you can sour this with 1 tsp vinegar or buttermilk if you want)
1 C water

PS. This is not gluten free. I don't know enough about gluten free baking yet to try to attempt a conversion. I had my kids tested and, while both of them have fairly low numbers, they are inside the normal range so we are allowing a small amount of gluten-y foods into our diet but we are still trying to eliminate most of the wheat for other health reasons.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails