Welcome!

Thank you for stopping by! Here you will find a variety of things as I post whatever happens to be going on in our home - recipes, crafts, homeschool, birthday parties, travels, meals in muffin tins and more! I'd love to know what you think so please feel free to leave comments!

Monday, February 22, 2010

Recipe: Broccoli Cheese Soup

Here is my new & improved recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup. I've made broccoli cheese soup in the past but it just never turned out like I wanted it to. With this batch, I finally got it where I wanted it. Yay! This is NOT a low fat or healthy version of this soup! ;-)

Broccoli Cheese Soup
(this is a big batch)

5 - 6 cups broccoli florets
2 cans vegetable broth
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
12 oz Velveeta, cubed

In a large pot, heat the broth just to boiling. Add onion, garlic and broccoli. Simmer until broccoli is tender. Whisk flour into milk until smooth. Slowly pour milk mixture into pot, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until it starts to thicken a bit and get bubbly around the edges. Using a stick blender, blend about half the soup. Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses until melted. Enjoy! Garnish with a little cheddar cheese and/or croutons. Serve with some crusty bread or buttery crackers.

A couple of notes:
I used Velveeta in this recipe. I am not big on processed foods, but every other time I have made this soup, it just never tastes the way I want it. I personally love the taste of Velveeta but try to use it infrequently. As healthy as I try to be, I still have my guilty little pleasures. LOL

I made this for a church pot luck. The last time I made soup (Cheesy Potato) for a church pot luck, I ended up with a lot left over and I was hoping that would be the case with this too. I wanted to have some to try freezing for future lunches. Well, all I had left was enough for one bowl! I got rave reviews which made me happy but none to freeze. Oh well. I guess I'll have to make another pot! I am hoping this freezes well. If anyone has any experiences with freezing soups of this sort, let me know what kind of results you had!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails