Welcome!

Thank you for stopping by! Here you will find a variety of things as I post whatever happens to be going on in our home - recipes, crafts, homeschool, birthday parties, travels, meals in muffin tins and more! I'd love to know what you think so please feel free to leave comments!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Getting Ready for Thanksgiving

We have been doing Thanksgiving activities lately as we prepare for Thursday's festivities and one of the things we did today was make turkey hats! This is a cute craft found on the Family Fun website. Laural hasn't had the chance to make hers yet because her cousins arrived just as we were starting. I "helped" Micah make his. Ok, I made Micah's but he helped a little with making the dots in the eyes. He had fun watching and playing with a pen and drawing (scribbling) furiously on a piece of paper I gave him.



I wanted to get the binky out of his mouth before the picture was taken, but we were quite close to naptime and removing the plug could have resulted in some serious rioting which may have delayed naptime significantly. I didn't want to chance it.

We made a couple changes to the turkey hat. We stapled several items in place rather than gluing them - the band, the feathers and the cardboard that attaches the head to the band. I figured it would be quicker and the kids could enjoy the fruits of their labor sooner. Also, I traced the kids' hands for the side wings. I thought it would be neat to have a little personal touch to their hats. We also used paper circles rather than pompoms for the eyes. I just don't have pompoms laying around. I don't think our changes made a big difference in the quality of the craft.

We are also working on a Thanksgiving lapbook. I am hoping to have it finished by the end of the week but we have a lot of cooking and baking to do. Even though we will be eating at my in-laws' and my parent's places, I still have to cook. I'm making green bean casserole (all from scratch) and a loaf of bread for the in-laws' and peanut butter cream pie for my parent's dinner. Yum. I. Can't. Wait.

I'll post Laural's turkey hat pics once we get it done.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails