Welcome!

Thank you for stopping by! Here you will find a variety of things as I post whatever happens to be going on in our home - recipes, crafts, homeschool, birthday parties, travels, meals in muffin tins and more! I'd love to know what you think so please feel free to leave comments!

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Canning Day!

Today was a long & busy day. We started with church and then home for lunch. After lunch, I gathered my supplies for making tomato soup. I took my big 22 quart pot, butter, sugar, onion & corn starch and 24 pint and 12 quart jars. I prefer to can in pints since my little family isn't up to eating a quart in one sitting. Once we got there, I started washing and cutting the tomatoes that my parents had already picked while Steve got ready to move our bed. Well, not our bed, but Laural's bed. Some time ago, I needed space and my parents needed extra beds for company, so we took one of our twin beds over to lend them. Since Laural is now 4.5 years old, I think it's time she moved into a regular bed, so Steve and Travis loaded it into Brian's truck and took it over to our house while I continued to work on the tomatoes. It is currently sitting in our kitchen. We will have to clean and rearrange her room a little tomorrow so we will have a place for it. By the time they got back from delivering the bed, I was a little more than half way done with cutting the tomatoes. They filled the 22 quart pot a little over 3/4 full.
My jars, ready to go.
It took the tomatoes about an hour to cook down and then, I had to sieve them. Turning the crank wasn't the worst part - holding the pot and sieve handles together made my hand so tired!

After getting all the juice and pulp that I could get out of all those tomatoes, it was time to add the other ingredients - 3 sticks of butter, 20 tbsp. of sugar and 3 tbsp. of salt. After it came to a boil, I added 10 tbsp. of cornstarch and let it cook for 20 minutes.

Then the fun began - putting in the jars. It went faster than I thought it would. I ended up with 24 pints and a partial quart. I would done another pint jar but I was out of jars.

I am SO pleased to have so much soup to put up! The last time I did soup, I only got 7 pints and I added too much salt. It wasn't the greatest. It would have been great without the salt.

There are still a bunch of tomatoes that will be ready on Tuesday, so I am deciding on whether I want to do more or give them away. It's a lot of work but it sure will be nice to have the soup put up. I'll have to think about it a little more.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails